Systems Engineering for ITS Workshop
This workshop will help you understand how systems engineering can be applied to your ITS project delivery process. The workshop will cover 1) the benefits of using systems engineering, 2) how to satisfy the Federal requirements for systems engineering as documented in Rule 940.11, and 3) how to apply systems engineering to your traditional project delivery processes. A combination of lectures, transportation examples, and exercises will be used to illustrate the basic concepts and introduce the topics. The workshop will culminate with a facilitated discussion that will focus on the useful application of systems engineering in your specific project delivery process.
This two day workshop includes two parts:
Systems Engineering Training - Learn about systems engineering, moving from general concepts to the specifics of how systems engineering is being used for actual transportation projects.
Process Improvement Discussion - The workshop participants apply what they have learned about systems engineering to their own project delivery process. The existing project delivery process and experiences from recent projects are discussed. Facilitators and participants will work together to develop a set of actions or process improvement recommendations. This can be done as a brief facilitated discussion or as a longer exercise that makes the 2nd day of the workshop into a full day.
This workshop uses the new Systems Engineering for Intelligent Transportation Systems Handbook as a primary reference. The workshop will provide the information you need to apply the general systems engineering guidance from the handbook to your own organization and project delivery process.
- Public sector professionals involved in ITS project delivery including project managers and transportation planning, design, construction, operations, and maintenance professionals that participate in ITS project development.
- Private sector consultants under contract to the public sector to support ITS planning and project development.
No prior background in systems engineering is required.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the systems engineering fundamentals
- Identify where in your current process systems engineering is already being performed
- Find opportunities where systems engineering will benefit your process
- Identify recommendations for process improvement